8 days of recipes: chocolate & cinnamon rugelach
This pistachio-chocolate-cinnamon rugelach from The Discerning Brute looks like a yummy treat to serve with breakfast or on your holiday dessert table.
- 2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup prepared egg-replacer
- 4 tbsp vegan shortening (do not melt)
- 6 tbsp tofu-cream cheese
- 1 package of active dry yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm soy creamer
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped organic walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped organic pistachios
- 1 bag of vegan chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp earth balance vegan spread
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Dissolve the envelope of dry active yeast in 1/4 cup of warmed soy creamer (vanilla or plain) and let it sit until it becomes frothy at top.
- Meanwhile, using a mixer or a fork, cream together the coconut oil, 1 cup of the sugar, the egg-replacer mixture, chilled shortening, 4 tbsp of the tofu cream cheese, salt and the vanilla.
- Add the frothy yeast & creamer and combine.
- Slowly begin to add the combined flours (whole wheat and all purpose) until the dough balls up in the mixer, or it has the texture of tough play-dough against the fork (should be about 2 cups). Set the remaining flour aside for dusting.
- Once your dough is in a ball, cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 40 minutes, then move into the fridge to cool for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has risen and then cooled, separate it into 4 equal parts.
- On a generously flour, sugar, and cinnamon-dusted surface ( I used wax paper sheets on my dining table) roll out 1 of the 4 dough parts into a circle the size of a small pizza. It should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Over medium heat, in a small saucepan, melt the Earth Balance, then add 1 cup of sugar and 4 tbsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp of tofu cream cheese. Stir until smooth
- Evenly spread 1/4 of this cinnamon mixture onto the rolled-out dough.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the pistachio & chopped walnuts, and a handful of vegan dark chocolate chips, and lightly press into the dough.
- Cut pizza-style into 16 equal pieces with a butcher knife.
- Roll into small crescent-roll shapes.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, and bake at 350 for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden. Sprinkle some of the chopped nuts and extra cinnamon & sugar on top if desired.
- Repeat steps 7, & 9-13 with the remaining 3 parts of dough.
What’s your favorite holiday breakfast food?
Photo Credit: The Discerning Brute
East Village NYC’s Vegan Ice Cream Game is Strong!April 27th, 2016
Oh Snap! Sweet Pea SoupApril 6th, 2016
My 2015 Natural Products Expo West AdventureMarch 21st, 2016
Making Raw Balls with BearFebruary 19th, 2016