8 days of recipes: chocolate & cinnamon rugelach
This pistachio-chocolate-cinnamon rugelach from The Discerning Brute looks like a yummy treat to serve with breakfast or on your holiday dessert table.
- 2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup prepared egg-replacer
- 4 tbsp vegan shortening (do not melt)
- 6 tbsp tofu-cream cheese
- 1 package of active dry yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm soy creamer
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped organic walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped organic pistachios
- 1 bag of vegan chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp earth balance vegan spread
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Dissolve the envelope of dry active yeast in 1/4 cup of warmed soy creamer (vanilla or plain) and let it sit until it becomes frothy at top.
- Meanwhile, using a mixer or a fork, cream together the coconut oil, 1 cup of the sugar, the egg-replacer mixture, chilled shortening, 4 tbsp of the tofu cream cheese, salt and the vanilla.
- Add the frothy yeast & creamer and combine.
- Slowly begin to add the combined flours (whole wheat and all purpose) until the dough balls up in the mixer, or it has the texture of tough play-dough against the fork (should be about 2 cups). Set the remaining flour aside for dusting.
- Once your dough is in a ball, cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 40 minutes, then move into the fridge to cool for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has risen and then cooled, separate it into 4 equal parts.
- On a generously flour, sugar, and cinnamon-dusted surface ( I used wax paper sheets on my dining table) roll out 1 of the 4 dough parts into a circle the size of a small pizza. It should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Over medium heat, in a small saucepan, melt the Earth Balance, then add 1 cup of sugar and 4 tbsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp of tofu cream cheese. Stir until smooth
- Evenly spread 1/4 of this cinnamon mixture onto the rolled-out dough.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the pistachio & chopped walnuts, and a handful of vegan dark chocolate chips, and lightly press into the dough.
- Cut pizza-style into 16 equal pieces with a butcher knife.
- Roll into small crescent-roll shapes.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, and bake at 350 for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden. Sprinkle some of the chopped nuts and extra cinnamon & sugar on top if desired.
- Repeat steps 7, & 9-13 with the remaining 3 parts of dough.
What’s your favorite holiday breakfast food?
Photo Credit: The Discerning Brute
Insane Ice Cream!June 27th, 2016
Guest Blog: How Vegan Friendly is Italy?June 17th, 2016
Tempeh Rueben Wraps from Heirloom Commons!May 20th, 2016
Date with Bear & My ParentsMay 11th, 2016
East Village NYC’s Vegan Ice Cream Game is Strong!April 27th, 2016