8 days of recipes: homemade applesauce
This applesauce would make a great accompaniment to your latkes (recipes for those coming tomorrow!). With no sugar added, it looks pretty darn healthy too!
- 3 lbs apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemon (thin, slices)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel and core apples (you can leave the skin on a few of them because if you like the taste and texture).
- Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- Add all ingredients to pot, and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
- Stir frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices.
- Mash with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature.
What kind of side dishes are you serving this season?
Shauna’s Peach SorbetAugust 20th, 2014
Delicious London Meet UpAugust 13th, 2014
Hearty Kinpira StewAugust 6th, 2014
Mizuna Salad with Roasted Cauliflower & Cumin VinaigretteAugust 1st, 2014