8 days of recipes: homemade applesauce
This applesauce would make a great accompaniment to your latkes (recipes for those coming tomorrow!). With no sugar added, it looks pretty darn healthy too!
- 3 lbs apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemon (thin, slices)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel and core apples (you can leave the skin on a few of them because if you like the taste and texture).
- Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- Add all ingredients to pot, and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
- Stir frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices.
- Mash with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature.
What kind of side dishes are you serving this season?
Veg Out: Excited About Cauliflower and Celery RootFebruary 11th, 2015
Simple & Seriously Yum Brown Rice BowlJanuary 14th, 2015
M Cafe’s Vegan Benedict Recipe!December 31st, 2014
Vegan Holiday Cooking: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Apple Cider ReductionNovember 19th, 2014