8 days of recipes: homemade applesauce
This applesauce would make a great accompaniment to your latkes (recipes for those coming tomorrow!). With no sugar added, it looks pretty darn healthy too!
- 3 lbs apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemon (thin, slices)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel and core apples (you can leave the skin on a few of them because if you like the taste and texture).
- Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- Add all ingredients to pot, and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
- Stir frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices.
- Mash with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature.
What kind of side dishes are you serving this season?
Quinoa Blueberry Muffins from Kind Lifer MadelineMay 20th, 2015
L.A.’s 1st Vegan Cheese Shop: VromageMay 13th, 2015
Celine’s Easy Pear & Walnut CrumbleMarch 25th, 2015
Jewish Style Vegan Tofurky Pot RoastMarch 13th, 2015