8 days of recipes: homemade applesauce
This applesauce would make a great accompaniment to your latkes (recipes for those coming tomorrow!). With no sugar added, it looks pretty darn healthy too!
- 3 lbs apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemon (thin, slices)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel and core apples (you can leave the skin on a few of them because if you like the taste and texture).
- Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- Add all ingredients to pot, and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
- Stir frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices.
- Mash with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature.
What kind of side dishes are you serving this season?
GF Sweet Potato Gnocchi w/ Roasted Cherry Tomato & RocketFebruary 10th, 2016
Kind Classics: Cheese Pt. 2!January 27th, 2016
The Homemade Vegan Pantry: Almond FetaJanuary 13th, 2016
Date with Bear & SabrinaJanuary 6th, 2016
Zen & the Art of Caramels: a missive from a Vegan-Curious New YorkerDecember 22nd, 2015