The Kind Life is a community around Alicia Silverstone and The Kind Diet where friends, doctors, experts in green living, and members share vegan tips.

Travel

We’re Headed to Atlanta!

Hey friends!

My little family is headed to Atlanta this October and we would love your suggestions!

I’ll be working on a new project out there (can’t wait to share more soon!) and we’re curious about the best places to eat…see…hear…and enjoy in Atlanta.

Are there any spots we just have to go to?

What are the best two and a half-year-old-friendly activities in the area?

Do you know some great vegan restaurants to eat at?

Are there any great macrobiotic chefs out there? Or macro restaurants?

It’s been a long while since we were last out there (filming with Queen Latifah for Beauty Shop to be exact!) and we’re really looking forward to returning!

So please feel free to shout out your personal favorites and must-sees in the comment below.  I’ll be sure to share some moments from our trip with you all and thanks for all of the help!

Love,

alicia's signature

Photo source: pitchengine.com

Recommended

46 Comments

• Kristine September 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

The Atlanta Botanical Garden will have a wonderful, magical scarecrow exhibit in October. It delights and enchants kids and their parents alike. The garden is a fabulous spot year-round, but really comes alive in October.

The Center for Puppetry Arts will be showing The Wizard of Oz. It’s a super, kid-friendly, well-situated venue and for anyone who wants to expose their kid to arts at an early age, it is not to be missed.

There are too many fabulous playgrounds to mention, but some of the most unique intown ones include the Old Fourth Ward playground, Piedmont Park playground, and Centennial Olympic Park playground.

I tweeted that you won’t want to miss Dulce Vegan Bakery in Kirkwood. Amazing treats, they are our go-to spot for special occasions, and we aren’t vegan … they’re that good.

Fernbank Museum of Natural History has a fabulous playspace for kids upstairs – Nature Quest. It’s a great spot for days when the weather forces you inside.

Stone Mountain is a glorious spot for hiking and it’s an easy 20-30 minute drive from the Midtown / Downtown area.

Atlanta in the fall is magical … we welcome you and hope you will enjoy your stay!

• Jason September 18, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Have a fun & safe trip. :-)

• Lindsay Nearing September 18, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Dough Bakery is my favorite Atlanta vegan restaurant along with Café Sunflower, enjoy!!

• Archena Dave September 18, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Alicia, please let me know what dates you are here.

• Erin September 18, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Ria’s Bluebird Cafe and Radial Cafe for brunch/breakfast. R. Thomas Deluxe Grill has pretty good vegan options as well. Bike/walking trails (Eastside Trail and Freedom Parkway Trail). The Path takes you most of the way Stone Mtn if you wanted to bike there. I would also suggest some day trips to North Georgia mountains for great hiking/sites (Pine Mountain/Lake Allatoona area and Tallulah Gorge (where they filmed Deliverance)).

• Sammy September 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Hit up Dulce Vegan bakery! Amazing sweets and great food. If you have time go to the Atlanta Botanical gardens, beautiful.

• Jean-Michel Bergeron September 18, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I wanted to say that we don’t seem to receive anything through the Kind Life Newsletter when there’s a new post here, it would be nice if something was sent to subscribers of the mailing list so we know the news… Personally I didn’t receive anything on my Disqus account either for that matter…

• TheKindLife September 18, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Jean-Michel. We are working on refining our email news blasts at this time, but you can always be sure to find out about the latest posts via The Kind Life social accounts (Facebook, Google+, and Twitter) and we will be sending out weekly recap newsletters on Fridays too, so keep an eye out!

To ensure that your email is on our list, please feel free to sign up here: http://eepurl.com/EvljT

The Kind Life Team

• erik September 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I’d agree Café Sunflower for more upscale organic veg option. Dough Bakery for vegan junkfood. And for a good pizza Mellow Mushroom has vegan options, they carry Daiya.

The Georgia Aquarium is amazing, along with the Coke museum, and the children’s museum is right across the street.

• Gina September 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Just south of the city in Locust Grove GA is a fabulous animal sanctuary called Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary. Open for public to see the animals from
    12noon-3pm each day. Your son (and you!) would love it!! Check out their Facebook page.

• Gina September 19, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Just south of the city is a beautiful animal sanctuary with over 1000 rescued animals. Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary in Locust Grove, GA. I’m sure you and family would enjoy. Check out their Facebook page for details.

• Jade September 20, 2013 at 2:01 pm

The Green Sprout!!

• Allison September 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Soul Vegetarian 2 on Highland – vegan soul food. Try the bbq kale bone! They also have amazing vegan mac n’ cheeze, veggie burgers, and their own vegan ice cream. Right next door is Richard Blais’s HD1, which is a hot dog place BUT they have CARROT DOGS! Also they totally know what you are talking about when ask about vegan options. For breakfast/brunch I’d recommend Flying Biscuit (multiple locations, Candler park is my fave). It’s an Atlanta staple and they have a killer vegan bbq tofu burrito with collards.

I’m just getting into the macro scene and would love to hear what you find!

• Gordon Lee Stelter September 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Part of my amazing, confirmable, true-life story was already read on NPR and included in a NY Times best seller (please see “The Unicycle”). It recounts my conversion from a hard-core atheist to Believer, due to several bona-fide miracles I experienced. (“The Unicycle” being one of the milder ones, actually – but all I’d dare tell NPR!) My whole memoir has already been requested by several significant Hollywood figures, and is nearly now completed. It includes much content regarding the extreme importance of adopting a compassionate diet for spiritual maturity. Contact me through facebook, if curious. (Oh, and I live near Atlanta, so could meet with you.

Peace,
    Gordon Lee Stelter
    Former Lobby Pianist for the Robert Osborne – Turner Classic Movies Film Festival (Before it moved to L.A..)

• carolina September 21, 2013 at 1:41 am

Serenbe community! in Chattahoochee Hills, GA (30 mins from the airport) 1,000 acre sustainably living community. They have a great organic restaurant !

• Beth Slater September 21, 2013 at 2:20 am

Was going to suggest The World Peace Cafe Atlanta, but looks like they’ve closed, but will have a new space soon. Check out the website, though – says there’s a yummy vegan restaurant in that space now. http://worldpeacecafeatlanta.com

• Mary-Frances Beesorchard September 21, 2013 at 3:02 am

North of Atlanta in Marietta there is a great grocery store called Life Grocery. They have a little cafe with a juice bar and an offering of vegan and raw vegan dishes. It is in a small, not very pretty, shopping center but is a great place to shop and eat. What makes it even greater is that Life Grocery is a co-op and the shopping is awesome!

• Marie-Claire Boonacker September 21, 2013 at 11:35 am

I absolutely love the Chattahoochee Nature centre in Roswell! http://www.chattnaturecenter.org

• Laura September 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I have just moved to Atlanta but I have heard that Cafe Sunflower is great. I went to The Loving Hut and that was pretty good. I am very excited to visit Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary because I love The Gentle Barn so much! I met you in New Orleans with my son Dylan and I really hope we can do something while you’re here. That was a great time and we hope to see you again soon. You and your family have a fun and safe trip!

• Steven Raymond Marks September 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Café Sunflower and R. Thomas Deluxe Grill in Atlanta. Then come to Athens and eat at The Grit and Echo!

• Debra Mazer September 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

Hi Alicia :) I’m in LA now but just want to echo: Yes to Dulce Vegan Bakery, R. Thomas Deluxe Grill (24-hour diner based on Body Ecology Diet). Also there’s a raw restaurant in East Point called Lov’n It Live. Some more raw/ vegan: Healthful Essence + Tassili’s Raw Reality in the West End. Yes to Soul Vegetarian, best vegan mac + cheese! Whole Foods on Ponce in Midtown has a really extensive hot bar. In Sandy Springs there’s World Peace Cafe. Also yes to Green Sprout (vegan Chinese w/ brown rice) + also a similar place, Harmony Vegetarian. There are lots of good Ethiopian (I like Queen of Sheba). I also LOVE Cafe Jonah + The Magical Attic, though it’s not all vegetarian. Super love-filled, + they have a metaphysical bookstore upstairs. I just saw your post about permaculture, + there are some hidden treasures in ATL like the Lake Claire Land Trust + East Lake Commons Co-housing (I used to live there!) … the Beltline Project. Great farmers markets: East Atlanta Farmer’s Market (Revolution Donuts has vegan donuts ;) + say hi to Jonathan, Isia, Chris, Joe, + Judith!) + Morningside Market. Also a market near the King Center: Truly Living Well. A great indoor place to shop is Your Dekalb Farmers Market. There is so much!! Have fun!! I wish I could be there to be your tour guide + cook for you! <3 Would be so fun. I'm still awaiting our playdate! Love you! I know we'll meet soon! xo

• GregCB750F September 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm

For a non-glossy Atlanta experience Little 5 Points is worth checking out. Arden’s Garden is a juice shop with 100% natural or organic fruits and veggies made fresh daily. Arden’s, Aurora Coffee and Sevenanda Food Co-Op are all within walking distance in Little 5 Points but it gets touristy and busy on the weekends. There are a number of great locally owned shops in this area as well with used/vintage clothing.

If you need a music fix Criminal Records and Wax N’ Facts are in Little 5 Points and a minute or two away by car is Candler Park and Full Moon Records as well as The Flying Biscuit Cafe which has some good vegan options and is a well known breakfast spot. There are some big parks in between those neighborhoods as well that all have paths and playgrounds.

Those two neighborhoods aren’t far from Virginia Highland neighborhood which has more local shops, pubs and restaurants and it’s on the way to Piedmont Park.

Living Walls is a collective of artists that have done commissioned graffiti and murals on tons of walls and bridges all over this area and is fun to explore by car. There is a big neighborhood event in Summerhill on October 5th. https://www.facebook.com/LivingWallsATL

Have fun exploring, it’s an amazing city! Oh, pick up a Creative Loafing paper for free just about anywhere, it’s a good guide to the arts and music scene on a weekly basis.

• Nancy Spiccia September 23, 2013 at 3:42 am

Hi Alicia–if you’re interested in a private chef, I’m happy to check on this for you. One chef in ATL cooked vegan meals for Natalie Portman (was on Top Chef), although he’s not vegan himself. Another is absolutely wonderful & I can see if she’s available (happy to research whatever you’d like). If you need help with your little guy, let me know–my 27-year old daughter was a nanny in Nashville for 2 adorable boys 2 & 4 and just moved back to Atlanta–you’d love her! We welcome you and hope you have a great time while you’re here!!

• Montina Portis September 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Well, I’m sure glad you asked because I now have a few additional places to visit :) My daughter is a vegan (I am a vegetarian) and we enjoy Loving Hut in Norcross. We went to Cafe Sunflower for her 17th birthday and the food was great and the atmosphere was elegant. Soul Vegetarian is great yet the service was very poor. Possibly it might be better for you since you are a celebrity yet I’m not sure. If I chose this establishment I would probably get my food to go. Here is a video review my daughters’ and I did about Loving Hut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYTmmA2HMI and a video review Soul Vegetarian II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAM0tv_tG8. Enjoy!

• tamara September 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I love Atlanta!!! Food-wise, be sure to check out Dough Bakery, R. Thomas (some macrobiotic options, Soul Veg 2,Queen of Sheba (mushroom and totu tibs!!), and Rias Bluebird for brunch. Revolution Doughnuts for AMAZING vegan doughnuts (esp. the blueberry yeast doughnut)

The beltline is awesome for walking/biking. Piedmont Park for a walk or picnic if the weather is good. Lullwater Park is a somewhat hidden gem, too.

FYI World Peace Cafe recently closed, due to the proximity of the Sandy Springs Cafe Sunflower. Cafe Sunflower is really highly regarded, and definitely one of the fancier veg spots in ATL, but I think the food is really only just okay. (And overpriced FWIW.)

Have fun! I used to live in the A and miss it tons!!

• Ani September 24, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Dulce Vegan is an AWESOME bakery & cafe (think: soups & sandwiches, croissants, pastries, cakes, …the works!) Mellow Mushroom, Village Pizza & Uncle Maddio’s all have good vegan pizza. And, if you’re looking for Chinese, Harmony Vegetarian Restaurant on Buford Highway & Green Sprout on Piedmont are both excellent choices. Enjoy!

• Trevor September 24, 2013 at 8:49 pm

-Dulce Vegan hands down for everything.
    -Green Sprout for fast takeout food.
    -Dough Bakery for vegan soft serve.
    -Ria’s BlueBird for breakfast.
    -Wrecking Bar Brewpud for all vegan beers and special vegetarian Tuesdays.

• Elizabeth September 24, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Lots of great vegan options at Cafe Sunflower on Peachtree Road in Buckhead incuding several amazing vegan cakes.
    Center for pupperty arts, lots of green space and paygrounds. High museum. Also, Sensation Therafun is a hidden gem and our daughter loves it. Legoland.
    Have fun!

• jason dooley September 24, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Dough Bakery for everything from baked goods and treats to sandwiches and most especially Sunday morning brunch.

Dulce Vegan offers great sandwiches as well as has great breakfast options like bagels with a vegan egg, cheese and bacon sandwich.

Cafe Sunflower for a more sit down lunch and or dinner meals

Healthful Essence offers amazing vegan Caribbean/Soul Food

Revolution Donuts has several vegan yeasty and or cakey donuts

Harmony Vegetarian is a full Chinese restaurant full of loads of dishes. Chinese Buddha has a whole vegetarian menu and is open 24 hours most days of the week.

• Jenny Leigh September 25, 2013 at 1:20 am

All of the previously mentioned vegan establishments are wonderful. Additionally, don’t forget Chai Pani in Decatur. They have amazing vegan/gluten-free indian street food! The square is also a fun place when accompanied by little ones!

• Resa September 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Anxiously awaiting the opening of Sobban, a Korean/Southern restaurant opening
    in Decatur in early October…they will have vegan options and the food looks beautiful. Check it out on facebook!

• Jen Ramirez September 26, 2013 at 3:48 am

I used to live in Atlanta and always loved the veggie burgers at World Peace Cafe! On the other hand if you’re looking for an amazing personal chef for when you feel like staying in, please check out my dear friend Chef Natalie of Food Optimist (www.foodoptimist.com). She makes fabulous food, even for your little one, and is an Atlanta native that knows all the best spots in Atlanta!

• Ashley McBroom September 26, 2013 at 4:44 am

Georgia Aquarium for sure, its the largest aquarium
    In the world and has amazing exhibits, Fernbank is a lot of fun and our 2.5 year old loved the IMAX movie there as well (his first movie). I’ve also heard wonderful things about the Chatahooche Nature Center and the Childrens Museum (right by the aquarium). Have fun!

• Gayle October 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Aquariums take animals from their homes in the ocean and hold them in captivity where they often suffer from physical and mental issues. Please don’t support organizations like this. I’m sure Alicia won’t.

• Bridget September 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Dulce Vegan Bakery is amazing! I’ve converted a couple of meat eaters bringing them here. Great sandwiches, soups, Healthy allergy friendly options and decadent desserts.

The Beltline is a great place for a walk, run or bike ride. Lots of folks walking their dogs, walking witht their kids or walking and taking catching up with friends. Really great views of Atlanta and Artwork along the way. Sometimes they also have performances and events.

• Kristen Kelley October 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I’ve heard some great things about the vegan “scene” in Atlanta, but have not been there in ages (pre-vegan days) so I can’t offer any suggestions (but I will make notes of everyone else’s since Atlanta is on our “to travel” list.

• Ali Johnston October 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

About a year ago, I had some of the most delicious vegan soul food I’ve ever tasted at Soul Vegetarian. Highly recommended!

• Lorie October 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I agree with Café Sunflower being a great place to go to. Another place that is a little out of the ways is Lovin’ it Live in East Point, GA just outside Atlanta. Very cool place with awesome food-I had amazing zucchini lasagna! I f you’re looking for some fun shopping-Twisted Sisters used clothing store has some great finds.

• Jamie E October 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm

You will have to get some Chuice – it’s vegan, raw, and combines liquid with chunks of seeds, nuts, and greens. It’s a juice you chew. It’s phenominal. Check out there website or Facebook page for places to buy (you could probably get them to come to you). They go all over Atlanta giving out samples and offering their product.
    For a fun good time, I love SweetWater. It’s a brewery tour but often there’s live music – typically a jam band. The scene is very chill and it’s $8-10. You can bring your dog. They’re hours are restrictive but it’s worth checking out if you find someone to watch your kiddo.

• Resa October 9, 2013 at 3:52 am

One more plug for awesome Chuice! http://www.chuice.com/

• warholboy October 12, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Hello there! I left a message on your facebook email! ( warholboy) Welcome to town!!

• Monica Barronton October 19, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary, they have a bear, lion and tiger there that were raised together. I’m planning to take my nephews to see the “BLT” there soon. :)

• Let’s Meet Up, Atlanta | The Kind Life October 22, 2013 at 11:50 pm

[…] really appreciated all of the great advice you shared for where to go, what to do and where to eat in Atlanta. We’ve been having a great time […]

• luminousvegans October 23, 2013 at 4:21 am

Whoa! How did I miss this? Atlanta is the jam for vegans! My favorites (in no particular order) are Dough Bakery, Dulce Vegan and Sunflower Cafe. I’m pretty sure I’ve blogged about them all at one point or another. Hope you enjoy Atlanta!

• GreenCityListings October 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hi Alicia,

Was so fun to meet you today. Too bad the weather wasn’t as nice as we’d hoped. Bear is a cutie and please ask your hubby to forgive me for calling him the wrong name (Simon)! Sorry Christopher!

Must say I was pleasantly surprised at how amicable you are and how attentive you are to Bear, quite refreshing!

Hope your pilot favors well with the networks and you’re back in ATL for a while… Atlanta definitely needs some ‘greening.’

I’ve added your book and website info to GCL. I think TheKindLife.com a fantastic hub and resource for like-minded folks trying to lead that ‘kinder lifestyle.’

Hoping the tshirt fits you well, and would love for you to shoot me a picture of you in it, if you would. My email is [email protected].

Thanks bunches for being so humble and such a warm and delightful personality.

~ Stay Green!