father’s day is almost here!
This Sunday (June 15th) is Father’s Day! Since it’s at the beginning of summer, Father’s Day often means BBQ. So, this year, why not surprise your dad with a kind BBQ complete with all his favorites! Here are some suggestions to help you plan the perfect Father’s Day BBQ!
- Grilled Veggies – mushrooms, zucchini, onions, whatever your favorites are!
- Grilled Corn on the Cob- yum!
- Cole Slaw – here’s a nice-looking recipe that uses vegenaise instead of dairy
- Potato Salad – see recipe below!
- Mac ‘n’ Cheez – recipe courtesy of Seedling Catering
- Baked Beans – my husband’s favorite BBQ food!
- Grilled Gardein Scallopini – could be good to try!
- Field Roast Sausages – you could make whole sausages or kebobs with grilled veggies and sausage on a stick!
- Kind Creme or your favorite non-dairy ice cream – Rice Dream mint sandwich bars are a summery, fresh treat!
Here is a recipe for a summer favorite of mine that could be great for your dad’s special day. I haven’t tried this one, but I love me some potato salad! I rarely eat it, but it’s such a nice treat for a pool party or BBQ. And it’s so easy to make a healthier version… And sooo much yummier!
I would personally leave out the peppers (and I think it would be way yummier that way), but if you are someone who loves peppers, leave them in!
Summer Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. baby new potatoes, cooked, peeled and halved
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into fine strips
- 1/2 c. Vegenaise
- 3 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- As potatoes are cooling, mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl – your mixture should be thick, not soupy
- Add a little more vinegar or a spoonful more Vegenaise to get an appropriately “saucy” consistency
- When potatoes are still slightly warm, add them to the mixture and stir delicately, so as not to mar the skins of the potatoes
- Let cool in the fridge for about 2 hours, or if you just can’t stand it, eat while still warm
Go wild making veg versions of your dad’s favorite dishes and desserts!
What else do you love at a BBQ? What would make the perfect BBQ meal? How do you plan to celebrate Father’s Day?
Thug Kitchen: Sweet Potato, Squash, & Black Bean EnchiladasOctober 10th, 2014
Shauna’s Peach SorbetAugust 20th, 2014
Delicious London Meet UpAugust 13th, 2014
Hearty Kinpira StewAugust 6th, 2014
Mizuna Salad with Roasted Cauliflower & Cumin VinaigretteAugust 1st, 2014