The Kind Life is a community around Alicia Silverstone and The Kind Diet where friends, doctors, experts in green living, and members share vegan tips.

Delicious

Sweet Carrot Salad

I love this simple, slightly sweet carrot salad! Here’s how to make it:

Grate three or four carrots and mix with a handful of raisins. For the sauce, whisk together vegenaise, ume vinegar, lemon juice, and a little grated ginger if you like. You can swap the ume vinegar for white balsamic, but I think ume is delicious.

Pour the sauce over the carrot and raisin mixture, just enough to coat, then mix it all up and dig in!

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 4.35.06 PM

What’s your favorite summer salad?

Photo Credit: Yesraj Agro Exports

Recommended

8 Comments

• ≈ CARMEN ≈ June 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

Yum! During the summer I love adding strawberries to salads. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

• Frenchpetal June 23, 2014 at 7:30 am

Making this soon! Off to the grocery store!

• alistaircrane June 23, 2014 at 9:14 am

I add a bit of sunflower seeds to give it some extra crunch.

• Julie Brydon June 23, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Fat Free Vegan has a non-vegenaise carrot salad recipe here (I’m not sure if I can post links here, so if I the link doesn’t show up just google Fat Free Vegan Cashew Carrot Salad): http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/07/cashew-carrot-salad.html

• Ann Gordon June 25, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Where do you buy these colored carrots? I have never seen them in Arizona or on long island. They look so cool but I wonder if they are gmo modified to get this color or do they breed regular carrots with ????? And one more thing…to Samatha Eve Kennedy….I was very surprised to see that someone doesnt like veganaise. I think it tastes like Miracle Whip which I think tastes so much better than store brand salad dressing which I was brought up to call mayo. To me its all the same but Miracle Whip was for the rich people in the Hamptons. I could literally eat spoonfuls of veganaise out of the jar and maybe I have but would never admit it. It smells so good. Sometimes I gag thinking ….it must have eggs in it. Trader Joes has a store brand but not as sweet. I think they have two types. You can always use mustard which is what I have to use at subway…and only 5 calories and no fat.

• Samantha Eve Kennedy June 26, 2014 at 5:58 am

Hi Amy! The truth is I just don’t like any type of mayo, Miracle Whip, or even veganaise. Just never took a liking to the taste. But hey, my husband likes ketchup (which I do not) and so we keep some in the fridge for him…each to his own! The important thing is to be happy, healthy, and eat what you like! :) Thanks for the tip about mustard. I LOVE mustard and use it in a lot of recipes…

• Rebecca Gross July 2, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Hi Samantha! I too am not a fan of mayo,vegenaise, or Miracle Whip, instead I use vegan plain yogurt.