Use this space to share stories, exchange ideas, ask questions, and contribute to our growing community!
I highly recommend a dietary supplement called Thyroid Synergy; it contains the precursors to the thyroid hormones and some herbs. This stuff helped me lower my TSH levels 4.4 points in 6 weeks (I did take extra iodine as well, but I did not take medication. My TSH actually went up after taking just the high dose of iodine [which my Dr. said can happen initially]), and now I feel better and am able to exercise and lose weight again. My Dr. said that steaming is the best way to get rid of the stuff that interferes with thyroid function that is in cruciferous vegetables. She said to cook them just past al dente. Get to know your cruciferous veggies because there are a ton of less obvious ones that you never want to eat raw (e.g., radishes). I asked about flax oil and she said that there is not enough estrogen in it to be of concern.
Some example standard non-healthy vegan meal options:
special K is a processed, fotified, refined, unnatural food! Your body will convert it into metabolic toxins=cellulite, fatigue, ect. There's hardly any nutrients left in this food. Forget the minerals they fortify it with. The only minerals your body can use are those which are alive & raw, like your body (greens & seeds!) Did you ever experience eating one bowl of Special K, and soon after your're hungry again?! That I call the nutritional gap. When you fill your stomach with nutrient-low foods, you'll be full for a short while, but soon your brain will send a signal: "I need nutrients!" That will make you feel hungry again. It's like that with all processed foods!Oh, here's a thought: why does Speacial K need TV commercials & advertising? Just to give the opinion-less and influencial mind a false idea about heath! Ever seen a commercial for organic foods? Who ever really wants health just knows, that organic and whole is the answer! I love it, things are so crystal clear!
Almond milk in cerial. Homemade almond milk is fantastic! Full of protein and almost alkaline. Add a dash of agave nectar and a pinch of vanilla! It's so good! BUT the almond milk you can buy - even at the organic store - I believe is junk. It's fortified with chemical minerals, something that your body will not be able to recognize nor use! Industry's got it's hands on everything, even on organic foods! That sucks.
Make your dinner 80% broccoli and maybe 20% brown rice. (RECIPE: (fast&easy) Bake your broccoli in the oven for 20 min. Before that put it out on a baking sheet, put good salt & black pepper on it, squeeze 1 or 2 cloves of garlic onto it, put healthy olive oil on it, and mix it with your hands. Then moisten a thin paper bag and cover your veggies -> bake - it's so good, you'll forget about the rice!!! - Do the same with fennel - YUM)
Veggie burger - > too much carb! and the bread is probably not homemade, is it? American bread, wherever you get it, is just not healthy (all these crazy toast fluffy junk in plastic with 10.000 ingredients like soy, corn, "salt", ect. - stuff that you'd never ever find in European bread - I hope! ;)), unless it's super organic and firm! Then it's still not healthy but at least only slightly acidic.
Refried beans? What is that? Does't sound too healthy. Probably refined veggie oil & beans. Tortillia? Corn? That's okay, but make sure its homemade (really easy) and your veggies have to be 80% of the meal! Veggie-sauces and dips, etc. do not count.
Soda - it is evil! Soda ruins everything: teeth, bones, causes weight gain, acidity... nothing more to say but "drop it"! Soda will make you feel thirsty, especially if you do not drink enough water. Then what mostly happens is: people mistake their thirst for hunger and they eat, again. End of story.
I also want to mention cigarettes and alcohol. Once in a while it's fine. But not on a regular basis. Both is acidic!!! If alcohol, maybe sometimes, then choose organic red wine!
Here's the deal:
1. People have the protein-fever! Actually Americans consume way to much protein. Your body needs protein to create amino acids. Amino acids are contained in every raw (green) vegetable. So forget the protein stuff. Think of an elephant or a girraffe, they're so strong and they do not eat obvious protein! They live on amino acids = raw greens.
Do not overdo beans & legumes. Also have some fresh, raw nuts & seeds instead. They're full of protein, good fats and give you many minerals. Still, nuts and seeds are slightly acidic. (almonds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts - not roasted, not salted!)
Peanuts & brazil nuts are super acidic! Please forget you ever heard that peanut butter is healhty! Skippy is full of sugar, salt and peanuts! Ahhh! RUN! Now you understand why there are people who are allergic to peanuts!
2. Dehydrated fruit is full of vitamins, and great sugar! This kind of sugar will provide for your body long term - no energy kick and then the deep fall. Also dryed fruit is very alkaline. Good for you. It replaces sweets perfectly (figs, dates, raisins, etc.). Make sure they're not sugared or oiled! Just plain. It's also good to soak them a few hours, makes it easier to digest and hydrates your body more (same for nuts & seeds).
3. Saturated fats & refined plant oils -> toxic reaction of body -> causes metabolic toxins
4. Eat some seasonal & local fresh raw fruit, but go low on it. Fruit sugar is not nothing! Also too much fruit can increase your body's acidity, in case your not alkaline yet, which is probably the case if you are over- weight and especially if you can't loose weight.
5. Avoid all forms of refined sugar - (the poison!!;)) Your body will dump it into little drawers called fat-cells! :) Instead choose agave nectar, local honey, if you are "bee"gan, or raw cane sugar. Also avoid high fructose corn syrup. It's just industrial, cheep crap that can be found in all kinds of foods even though it should not be in it!
6. Make sure you do eat(!) healthy fats. They are super nutritious and good for you (joints, skin, digestion). Healthy, extra virgin cold pressed organic oils will actually help you loose weight!!! Your choices are (all cold pressed extra virgin): olive oil, pumpkin seed oil, sesame seed oil, hemp seed oil, flax seed oil (amazing for weightloss!), coconut oil (anti viral, anti fungial, easy to digest, anti bacterial, super healthy, yes high in saturated fat. But you have to distinguish between good and bad saturated fats. The good kind does not cause cholesterol. Animal fats are the bad ones.), canola oil! Remember: the good kind!
7. Make your food from scratch, so you know what's in it! High quality counts.
9. Potatos are super alkaline. Just make sure you start with the fresh potato. Bake it, boil it, mash it! Diner fries do not count!Potatos, even though alcalizing, do NOT replace your greens! EAT YOUR GREENS!!! 80%, remember!
10. Gluten!!! Some people are (extremely) sensitive to gluten. Muscle pain, joint pain, fatigue, rashes, bloating, etc.. Some people have celiac disease, that means when they eat gluten, they might end up in the hospital. Gluten can even be one of the causes for cancer sometimes. Gluten contaminates your intestinal tract. 80% of your body's immune system are in your intestine. If your intestine is messed up, then you're not healthy. Gluten is the protein (it's like glue) in wheat, rye, barly, spelt, of which all usual flours consist. Gluten-free grains: rice, qinoa, buckwheat, millet, corn, oat. Check out the NY bakery babycakes NY on YouTube and also their website. They offer shipping and also share some easy super-delicious recipes!!! They're vegan and gluten-free! Even non-vegans go nuts over their goodies!
11. No refined/industrial salt! It gives you wrinkles & Alzheimer (because of the aluminum in salt to make it come out of the dispenser better, aluminum messes up your brain.) It's fortified with all kinds of crap. Sodium-Chloride is the salt you usually get. It is highly refined, and as it's name tells, only contains two minerals: sodium & chloride. Healthy salts contain up to 82(!!!) minerals and is alkalizing your body and provides for it!!!! The refined salt is full of additives and unnatural chemicals! It is highly aggressive - even so aggressive it's the most commonly used preservative: keeps foods from going bad, while shipping it back and forth around the globe, and giving it months & years of insanely long shelf-life. Therefore it can be found in almost any boxed /wrapped foods. Read the list of ingredients carefully. Oh, and it's cheap, that's why they (the industry) loves to add it to all kind of foods, too. Oh, oh, and it makes people sick, even better for the pharmaceutical industry. It's a loose-win! How sad.
So go and buy himalayan crystal rock salt, natural rock salt, or celtic sea salt. Regular sea salt is okay sometimes, but i'd avoid it, still. And as always, remember all organic!!!! Especially the salt!
You really DO need good salts in order for your body to function right.