For the past two years, I've had several - seven to be exact - pet chickens. They are truly lovely animals and are spoiled rotten! As I'm considering moving from a vegetarian lifestyle to a vegan one, I'm a bit torn as to what I should do with their lovely eggs! I already give lots away, but I'm still going to end up with lots and lots of eggs this spring and summer. What would you do in my position?
I am also in the same predicament, I also have (bantam)chickens and they lay lots of eggs that are too small to sell, costs me more to give away since we live so far from friends and the next neighbor is 5kms away. such a shame to just put them in the compost(the last batch I put in ruined my compost!) My son and I decided we use them is that ok?
I believe, that if you decide to become "a vegan", then it's your own choice and you make your own rules. I only use the term vegan because it's easier for some people to get the right picture (actually, when I say I eat mostly plantbased, people automatically say, "then you're vegan?". Most of the time I don't want to explain to them that I'm not a 'real' and strict vegan, so I let them keep that cubicle they like to put me in). So, your rules, your principles. I decided to keep on eating eggs, if they're from my own hens, or family's/friend's hens. That way you don't participate in the animal cruelty involved with industrial eggs. And for me, that's the only reason not to eat eggs. So when they come from chicken that you know are treated well, I don't see why you shouldn't eat eggs. Of course, don't eat to much of them, don't overdo, but an egg once in a while won't hurt you.
You know, when you eat healthily 80% of the time, it doesn't matter what unhealthy foor you eat for the other 20%, the body neutralizes it. And I'm still not quite sure if eggs are helathy or unhealthy.
But it's still your own choice of course, that's just my point of view on it :)
Thanks Nathalie! I too was in that same situation with eggs. It's the one thing I don't want to give up. It's just easier to cook when I have the option of adding an egg to a dish. I agree with you that if the chickens laying the eggs are treated kindly and with respect I can't see why there would be an issue with eating them. I know there is the argument of "do you know what an egg is?" but I guess that's why it's a personal decision. :)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating your chick's eggs! They're your pets (I'm assuming you don't have a rooster so you're not 'destroying' any baby chicks)
In that case the eggs are a gift to you and very super nutritious.
You really should never put eggs in the compost--the shells are great but not the insides!
I agree that no factory farmed eggs should be supported or bought--it's just barbaric. But your pampered little 'girls' are gonna lay anyway....it's natural. Don't feel bad for utilizing the gifts they give you! Rejoice in it and feed them all your kitchen scraps!
I have been wondering about this.....I am the only "vegan" in my family so I buy eggs (for my family) at the farmers market from local farmers and I only buy if they do not have roosters, so no fertilized eggs. It seems to me to be a very confusing issue. I would love to hear more thoughts on this:) And thank you all for any additional posts
Join the Discussion!
Login or create an account on The Kind Life today and you'll be able to leave comments, share photos and videos with friends, and participate in community events!