As a born-and-bred Melbournite and newly converted vegan, I am realising just how lucky I am to be living here! We have a HUGE art scene and a huge vegan/vegetarian community, every second restaurant is vegetarian based! I just thought that if any of you are coming down to Australia, you should be tipped off as to the best ones to go to! Yum!
1. Lentil As Anything, St Kilda. - This place is so hard to describe, so you really should just go on the site. It's all organic, veg*n, and you pay as much as you like/can afford (it runs off donations). If you're a vegan in Melbourne, you HAVE to visit Lentil As Anything. http://www.lentilasanything.com.au/
2. Vegie Bar, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. - The biggest veg*n restaurant in Melbourne, it's hard to find a seat here! They have plenty of raw food options, asian dishes, tacos, pastas, soups, and pretty much anything else you can think of! They also have what is commonly referred to as the best vegan chocolate cake around - definitely a must-see!
3. Lord Of The Fries, all over the CBD. - This place is the best veg*n junk food stop! They cut and prepare their own fries, and you can get any topping you like! I love the Mexican one with guacamole and vegan sour cream. They also do vegie burgers and nuggets. It's super-cheap, too! Warning, though, these are addictive, and aren't the healthiest option. Best saved for late-night snack attacks.
4. Yong's Green Food, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. - A bit pricey, but does amazing Asian dishes (all veg*n). Definitely the most upmarket restaurant option, go here when you want to have a nice night out with friends.
5. Spudbar, chain restaurant. - Not exclusively veg*n, but still has heaps of options. You get a base of potato (or sweet potato, no extra charge) and then top it with whatever veggies, dips (their hummus is UH-MAZING) and extras your heart desires! Less than $10 for a huge portion, too.