I am quite upset. We live in condos and the condo bellow us sold and the new owner has done a complete remodel of the entire place. For the past month we have been exposed to non stop paint fumes, glues, and other chemicles because it is rising through the floor. The workers wear masks and than when they leave they shut all the windows which prevents the home from airing out the fumes. We have had to have our windows open none stop day and night and we are freezing and it still smells like fumes. To make it even worse the person who lives next to use burns their chimney everyday so when we open the windows to air out the construction fumes we than are forced to breath the chimney smoke. We are told than the remodel is going to last atleast another month. I try so hard to buy organic and use chemicle free cleaning products and personal care products and than I get forced to breath in someone else's chemicles. I don't know how bad the chemicle exposure is when coming through the floors, I assume less than if it were in our home but I am worried none the less.
These are definately big concerns that should be brought up with your condo board (assuming you have one). Discuss with the new owner of the condo about the fumes, there shouldn't be any reason why the windows can't be left open a crack.
I don't think you can really say anything about the chimney smoke, those people are simply using their fireplace propperly.