mardi gras jambalaya
Delicious vegan jambalaya!
35 min cook | 4 servings | 15 min prep
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 4 slices vegan bacon or vegan chorizo
- 1 cup vegan chicken style pieces
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup sweet corn (canned
- fresh or frozen)
- 1.5 cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 tsp tomato/vegetable puree
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chili
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- .5 tsp blackstrap molasses
- Tabasco sauce (as much or as little as you like)
- 1 Large handful of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Finely dice the onion and add to the pan along with some seasoning. Allow to soften for a few minutes. Mince the garlic and finely chop the chili and add to pan along with the chili flakes.
- Cut the ‘bacon' into chunks or if using vegan chorizo pieces add to pan along with the paprika and cook until it starts to color.
- Cut the pepper into large pieces
- add to pan
- season and allow to soften with the other ingredients.
- Pour in the brown rice and give it a stir and then add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. Season
- add the molasses and one cup of water. Shake in a good amount of Tabasco sauce. Fill the cup with water and set aside - you will use this water throughout.
- Allow to gently simmer for 30mins before adding the frozen chicken style pieces - if using refrigerated pieces they will take less time to cook. If it becomes too dry add more water - like you would do a risotto. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
Quick ‘N’ Easy Hot CocoaFebruary 4th, 2013
Chocolate-Covered StrawberriesFebruary 4th, 2013
Seitan in a Balsamic-Wine ReductionFebruary 4th, 2013
Cauliflower Buffalo WingsJanuary 15th, 2013
Vegan Fudge (Chocolate)September 29th, 2012