mardi gras jambalaya
Delicious vegan jambalaya!
35 min cook | 4 servings | 15 min prep
- onion 1 na
- red pepper 1 na
- slices vegan bacon or vegan chorizo 4 na
- vegan chicken style pieces 1 cup
- short grain brown rice 1 cup
- frozen peas 1 cup
- sweet corn (canned
- fresh or frozen) 1 cup
- cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned) 1.5 cup
- tomato/vegetable puree 1 tsp
- cloves of garlic 2 na
- red chili 1 na
- smoked paprika 1 tbsp
- chili flakes 1 tsp
- blackstrap molasses 0.5 tsp
- Tabasco sauce (as much or as little as you like) 1 na
- Large handful of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley 1 na
- olive oil 1 na
- salt and pepper 1 na
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Finely dice the onion and add to the pan along with some seasoning. Allow to soften for a few minutes. Mince the garlic and finely chop the chili and add to pan along with the chili flakes.
- Cut the ‘bacon' into chunks or if using vegan chorizo pieces add to pan along with the paprika and cook until it starts to color.
- Cut the pepper into large pieces
- add to pan
- season and allow to soften with the other ingredients.
- Pour in the brown rice
- give it a stir and then add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. Season
- add the molasses and one cup of water. Shake in a good amount of Tabasco sauce. Fill the cup with water and set aside - you will use this water throughout.
- Allow to gently simmer for 30mins before adding the frozen chicken style pieces - if using refrigerated pieces they will take less time to cook. If it becomes too dry add more water - like you would do a risotto. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- A few minutes before serving a