This Sunday (June 15th) is Father’s Day! Since it’s at the beginning of summer, Father’s Day often means BBQ. So, this year, why not surprise your dad with a kind BBQ complete with all his favorites! Here are some suggestions to help you plan the perfect Father’s Day BBQ!
- Grilled Veggies – mushrooms, zucchini, onions, whatever your favorites are!
- Grilled Corn on the Cob- yum!
- Cole Slaw – here’s a nice-looking recipe that uses vegenaise instead of dairy
- Potato Salad – see recipe below!
- Mac ‘n’ Cheez – recipe courtesy of Seedling Catering
- Baked Beans – my husband’s favorite BBQ food!
- Grilled Gardein Scallopini – could be good to try!
- Field Roast Sausages – you could make whole sausages or kebobs with grilled veggies and sausage on a stick!
- Kind Creme or your favorite non-dairy ice cream – Rice Dream mint sandwich bars are a summery, fresh treat!
Here is a recipe for a summer favorite of mine that could be great for your dad’s special day. I haven’t tried this one, but I love me some potato salad! I rarely eat it, but it’s such a nice treat for a pool party or BBQ. And it’s so easy to make a healthier version… And sooo much yummier!
I would personally leave out the peppers (and I think it would be way yummier that way), but if you are someone who loves peppers, leave them in!
Summer Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. baby new potatoes, cooked, peeled and halved
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into fine strips
- 1/2 c. Vegenaise
- 3 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- As potatoes are cooling, mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl – your mixture should be thick, not soupy
- Add a little more vinegar or a spoonful more Vegenaise to get an appropriately “saucy” consistency
- When potatoes are still slightly warm, add them to the mixture and stir delicately, so as not to mar the skins of the potatoes
- Let cool in the fridge for about 2 hours, or if you just can’t stand it, eat while still warm
Go wild making veg versions of your dad’s favorite dishes and desserts!
What else do you love at a BBQ? What would make the perfect BBQ meal? How do you plan to celebrate Father’s Day?