Published on April 6th, 2016 | by Alicia Silverstone
Recently I made two sweet pea soups from Elina Fuhrman’s book Soupelina’s Soup Cleanse and they are both delicious!! Elina is sharing one of them “Oh Snap” today! Thanks Elina! Sweet peas are now in season so definitely give this yum recipe a try. Over to Elina!
Once I fell in love with peas, I had to figure out another recipe. Playing in the kitchen is one of my favorite pastimes. Try it sometime. It’s so fun adding different spices and veggies and watching them turn into a beautiful soup. There are no rules! I wanted to play on the sweet pea flavors with mild zucchini and bitter watercress. Adding coriander was a gamble, but the soup came out bursting with flavors and I knew I had another favorite. This is a great blood-cleansing and anti-inflammatory soup. Oh snap!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium-sized leek, white and tender green parts cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 3 medium-size zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups boiling filtered water
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 1 cup watercress, tough stems removed, plus more for garnish
- Himalayan pink salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat, add the leek and garlic, and sauté until soft.
- Add the celery, zucchini, and coriander, stir, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add enough boiling filtered water to cover the veggies, cover the pot, and simmer for 25 minutes
- Add the peas and watercress and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the watercress is wilted and the peas are tender
- Remove from the heat and allow the flavors to absorb for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a Vitamix and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and lemon juice.
- Serve hot or cold, garnished with watercress leaves.
NOTE: You can skip the zucchini and watercress if you don’t have them on hand; just up the peas amount. You can also replace the watercress with arugula.
From Soupelina’s Soup Cleanse: Plant-Based Soups and Broths to Heal Your Body, Calm Your Mind, and Transform Your Life by Elina Fuhrman, $24.99, amazon.com. Reprinted courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Books.
Photo Credit: Par Bengtsson