Kind Lifer Robert Intersimone wrote in to share his review of Amy’s Drive Thru. Have you eaten there yet? It looks so fun!
Amy’s Drive Thru restaurant is a real game-changer! It is a 95% organic, 100% vegetarian/vegan, eat-in and drive-thru restaurant located 40 miles north of San Francisco, that competes with neighboring fast food places, like In-N-Out Burger, Taco Bell, and Burger King. This place is far superior to those in terms of food quality, environmental conscientiousness, health promotion, and ethical standards. They are not only serving local vegetarians and vegans, they are successfully reaching out to the general population of American fast food eaters and giving them healthy alternatives that taste great.
Given it’s a fast food joint, don’t expect exotic gourmet vegan foods or far-out combinations. Do expect great versions of favorite fast food items.
The breakfast menu has sandwiches, burritos, oats, parfaits and potatoes. The lunch/dinner menu has vegan burgers, burritos, mac n’ cheeze, pizzas, soups, salads, rice and chili, shakes and more!
Some ethical and quality highlights:
- Amy’s takes extra care to make sure there is no cross-contamination that could affect those who are allergic to wheat or those who insist on strictly vegan food.
- Each menu item can be ordered vegan or gluten-free.
- Ingredients are mostly non-GMO (through USA Organic certification, not Non-Gmo Verified)
- More than 95% of the ingredients are certified USDA Organic.
- Many of the ingredients are locally sourced.
- Considering the high level of quality, the pricing is very reasonable and not much higher than the local Burger King. A single Amy’s v burger costs $2.99!
Plus, the eatery takes extraordinary ecological care
- Most materials used in construction were sourced from upcycled/recyled materials.
- They have a living roof, covered with grasses and flowers.
- They have a rain capture system and use that water for irrigation.
- All packaging is made from recycled materials, with detailed recycling instructions for the consumer.
- Uniforms worn by employees are made of organic, fair trade cotton.
Amy’s Drive Thru’s motto is “Runs On Love” and that is apparent in every aspect of this place; the design of the building, the attentiveness and cheerfulness of the staff, and the quality of the food. If you’re in the Bay Area, be sure to road trip to Amy’s and veg out!
Images: Shelby Pope