Juicy and succulent, roasted pumpkin is a treat indeed. The combination of tangy miso and rice vinegar with a touch of nutmeg and cayenne pepper truly highlights its subtle flavor. A hefty sprinkling of a cheesy walnut crumble takes this dish from ordinary to extraordinary.
Roasted Pumpkin With Cheese Walnut Crumble
- 8 cups peeled pumpkin, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes (about 3 pounds)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mellow white miso or chickpea miso
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cheesy walnut crumble
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin cubes with the oil, coconut sugar, miso, vinegar, salt, nutmeg, and cayenne. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and bake until the chunks are tender and golden, about 40 minutes.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, make the walnut crumble: Spread the walnuts into an even layer on a baking sheet or baking dish and roast in the oven along with the pumpkin for 8 minutes, or until slightly toasted and fragrant. Remove and add the nutritional yeast to the pan. Pop back in the oven for an additional 2 minutes to toast the yeast. Once done, remove and transfer the mixture to a food processor and add the lemon juice and sea salt. Pulse to create a crumble. Set aside.
- Once the pumpkin chunks are done, transfer to a serving dish. Serve sprinkled with the walnut crumble and garnish with the fresh thyme sprigs.
Reprinted from Mississippi Vegan by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. You can follow Mississippi Vegan on Instagram here: instagram.com/mississippivegan
Copyright © 2018, Timothy Pakron