Karielyn Tillman of the cookbook Clean Desserts: Delicious No-Bake Vegan + Gluten-Free Cookies, Bars, Balls, and More is sharing this simple summery diy dairy-free ice cream recipe below. The base is avocado–yes, avocado! And it’s creamy, dreamy, and oh-so easy to make. Her book was named one of PETA’s must-have cookbooks of 2019 – it features 72 vegan treats comprised of whole foods and natural sweeteners (maple syrup, dates etc.)
Yields: 4 servings | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Inactive Time: 30 minutes
For the pistachio nut butter:
- 1 cup pistachios
For the ice cream
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepare the pistachio nut butter:
- Add the pistachios to a food processor and process until they are broken down into a thick and creamy nut butter. This will take approximately 5 minutes, and you may need to stop one or two times to scrape the sides and help it along. Set aside.
Prepare the ice cream:
- Set aside 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Add all ingredients for the ice cream to the food processor with the pistachio nut butter, and process until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Pour the ice cream mixture evenly into the loaf pan.
- Tightly cover the loaf pan and place in the freezer overnight, or until the ice cream is firm.
- Store in an air-tight container in the freezer until ready to serve because the ice cream will get soft if left out at room temperature.
Tip: Want to add some chocolate? Stir in mini-chocolate chips to the ice cream mixture before putting in the freezer, or drizzle melted chocolate over the ice cream before serving!
Photo: Karielyn Tillman