Vegan Dating Pt. 2
A little while back, I shared some thoughts about dating as a vegan. Check it out if you haven’t seen it yet. The jist is not to limit yourself to finding someone who is already a vegan. Be open to the person who is right for you.
On the other hand, if you are hoping to find a plant-based partner, here are some more ideas for how to find one…
How to meet a veg partner:
• Like I mentioned in my video, try going to eco and vegan events where you might meet like-minded people. The farmer’s market, a yoga class, or volunteering might be a good place to start.
• Meetup.com is a good way to meet people that share your interests (and not just for dating). There are a ton of vegan and eco-friendly groups there that might introduce you to some cool people. In Los Angeles, there’s a group for Roaming Vegan Potlucks, in New York there’s a Vegetarian & Vegan Meetup, and you London Kind Lifers can join London Vegan Meetup.
If you want to introduce your partner to a kind diet:
I often see questions in the forum from those of you already in relationships with meat- and dairy-loving partners and you want to know how to introduce them to a kinder diet. Here are some suggestions:
• Start with Meatless Mondays. Lots of restaurants are offering Meatless Monday dishes now. Make Monday a date night and pick a different vegan or veg-friendly restaurant each week.
• Cook Dinner Together. Pick a kind recipe with ingredients they love, open a bottle of wine if you feel like, and get cooking. This is such a simple date, but it’s one of the best.
• Small Acts of Kindness. Surprise him or her by bringing them lunch one day. Try the rustic pasta on page 147 of The Kind Diet or the waffle, sausage and cheese Panini on page 153. Yum!
• Revamp Their Fav Meal. Just veganize the ingredients or make something in that general realm. Like, mac & cheese or fettuccini alfredo. No need to make a big deal about it being vegan, just share the yum food with love.
Be careful not to turn them off to the kind lifestyle:
This is a very gentle process.
• Try not to lecture about veganism if they haven’t expressed an interest in learning about it. Wait for them to ask. If it’s been a while and they haven’t inquired, give them a book that best suits their personality. Maybe Meat is for Pussies, The China Study, Food Revolution, No Impact Man, Engine 2 Diet, or The Kind Diet.
• Try not to criticize their food choices. Be patient and stick to your kind habits. Chances are, they’ll warm up to them without even realizing it. Continue sharing all the good foods like my Cheesy Oozy Guacamole Bean Dip and Artichoke, Mushroom, and Leek Crostini with pesto from The Kind Diet. Continue to take care of yourself and they will see that you look better than ever and that you feel great. How can they not eventually be curious? The love and good vibes will be contagious.
What do you think?
2% of people in the US are vegans, according to a Gallup poll last year. Vegan women outnumber men by about three to one. The odds might seem to favor plant-based dudes, but Rob Masters of the London Vegan Meetup Group says that veg ladies are more willing to pair with a non-vegan partner. So whether you’re a guy or gal, if you’re looking for a plant-based partner, the odds are tough!
After reading those numbers, I was curious to see how you all feel about being in the dating game or in relationships as vegans. So, I created this little survey. It’s pretty short so it won’t take more than five minutes and I’ll share the results of the survey after Valentine’s Day! Could be fun, right?
What are your tips for finding a vegan mate or introducing your partner to veganism?
Share in the comments below, and if you have more questions about this topic, post those too. I’ll try to answer them in a future blog.
Speaking of comments, we have some brand new comment capabilities! Now, you can reply to someone else’s comment and give a comment a “thumbs up.” Hope you enjoy the new features!
Photo source: flickr.com / Bahoolala
Tobias’ Vegan JourneySeptember 13th, 2016
Guest Blog: Favorite Facial ProductsAugust 3rd, 2016
Video Blog: What’s Inside My Makeup Bag?July 22nd, 2016
Nora’s Kind Diet JourneyJuly 5th, 2016