a yummy pumpkin cheesecake recipe!
A couple of years ago before Thanksgiving, my friend Mark had me over for a super yummy Thanksgiving meal. He made the best cheesecake ever- the recipe came from the Vegetarian Times, and it’s a great option for your Thanksgiving menu this year.
This cheesecake is adapted from a recipe in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times, and was originally submitted by Kathryn Hostettler who won honorable mention in the recipe contest in that issue.
To make it a bit easier, Michael uses a pre-made graham-cracker crust, and also uses Whole Foods Market Organic Pumpkin Pie Filling as part of the cheesecake filling.
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Candied Cranberries
For the candied cranberries:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sugar substitute (either maple syrup or agave nectar, whichever you prefer)
- Prick each cranberry several times with straight pin.
- Bring sugar substitute and water to boil over medium heat.
- Cook until sugar reaches 230 F on candy thermometer.
- Add cranberries, and cook ten minutes or until syrup gels a bit.
- Remove berries with slotted spoon and lay out on plate.
- Save in refrigerator for adding to top of cheesecake later.
For the crust:
- Pre-made organic vegan graham-cracker crust (for ease)
Or, if you prefer to make your own:
- 10 sheets vegan graham crackers
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 oz Earth Balance butter
Steps (if you aren’t using premade)
- Process crackers and salt into fine crumbs in food processor.
- Add Earth Balance and pulse to combine.
- Press mixture into bottom and half way up sides of 9 inch spring form pan.
For the cheesecake filling:
- 12 oz. silken tofu
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 3/4 can Whole Foods Organic Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Puree all ingredients in food processor until very smooth, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour into crust and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes.
- Chill completely in refrigerator at least 3 hours, up to overnight.
- Garnish with candied cranberries, slice and serve.
What are your fave Thanksgiving desserts?
Vegan Holiday Cooking: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Apple Cider ReductionNovember 19th, 2014
Cookie’s Water HallahNovember 7th, 2014
Thug Kitchen: Sweet Potato, Squash, & Black Bean EnchiladasOctober 10th, 2014
Shauna’s Peach SorbetAugust 20th, 2014
Delicious London Meet UpAugust 13th, 2014