a yummy pumpkin cheesecake recipe!
A couple of years ago before Thanksgiving, my friend Mark had me over for a super yummy Thanksgiving meal. He made the best cheesecake ever- the recipe came from the Vegetarian Times, and it’s a great option for your Thanksgiving menu this year.
This cheesecake is adapted from a recipe in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times, and was originally submitted by Kathryn Hostettler who won honorable mention in the recipe contest in that issue.
To make it a bit easier, Michael uses a pre-made graham-cracker crust, and also uses Whole Foods Market Organic Pumpkin Pie Filling as part of the cheesecake filling.
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Candied Cranberries
For the candied cranberries:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sugar substitute (either maple syrup or agave nectar, whichever you prefer)
- Prick each cranberry several times with straight pin.
- Bring sugar substitute and water to boil over medium heat.
- Cook until sugar reaches 230 F on candy thermometer.
- Add cranberries, and cook ten minutes or until syrup gels a bit.
- Remove berries with slotted spoon and lay out on plate.
- Save in refrigerator for adding to top of cheesecake later.
For the crust:
- Pre-made organic vegan graham-cracker crust (for ease)
Or, if you prefer to make your own:
- 10 sheets vegan graham crackers
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 oz Earth Balance butter
Steps (if you aren’t using premade)
- Process crackers and salt into fine crumbs in food processor.
- Add Earth Balance and pulse to combine.
- Press mixture into bottom and half way up sides of 9 inch spring form pan.
For the cheesecake filling:
- 12 oz. silken tofu
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 3/4 can Whole Foods Organic Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Puree all ingredients in food processor until very smooth, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour into crust and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes.
- Chill completely in refrigerator at least 3 hours, up to overnight.
- Garnish with candied cranberries, slice and serve.
What are your fave Thanksgiving desserts?
East Village NYC’s Vegan Ice Cream Game is Strong!April 27th, 2016
Oh Snap! Sweet Pea SoupApril 6th, 2016
My 2015 Natural Products Expo West AdventureMarch 21st, 2016
Making Raw Balls with BearFebruary 19th, 2016