kind classics: moroccan couscous with saffron
I found this recipe in a magazine and changed it up to make a healthier version. It’s SO good. When I make this, I have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and for leftovers. Definitely make a big batch of it. It’s great for big family meals, and stays good in the fridge for a few days. And ladies, it’s a great dish to have right before your period.
I made it for my dad and he loved it! A while ago, I surprised him and my mom by cooking them a huge meal. I made the Couscous, Sweet Potato-Lentil Stew, Baby Bok Choy Drizzled with Ume Vinaigrette, and a Peach Crumble for dessert. It was a massive feast! They were super impressed.
Moroccan Couscous With Saffron
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 cubes
- 2 cups yellow onion, large dice
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 cubes
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, cut into 3/4 cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the squash, onion, carrots and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.
- While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin, saffron and salt to taste.
- Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.
- Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl, and add the couscous.
- Bring the vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.
- Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Add the scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork, and serve.
What’s your favorite dish to cook for company?
Thug Kitchen: Sweet Potato, Squash, & Black Bean EnchiladasOctober 10th, 2014
Shauna’s Peach SorbetAugust 20th, 2014
Delicious London Meet UpAugust 13th, 2014
Hearty Kinpira StewAugust 6th, 2014
Mizuna Salad with Roasted Cauliflower & Cumin VinaigretteAugust 1st, 2014