kind classics: moroccan couscous with saffron
I found this recipe in a magazine and changed it up to make a healthier version. It’s SO good. When I make this, I have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and for leftovers. Definitely make a big batch of it. It’s great for big family meals, and stays good in the fridge for a few days. And ladies, it’s a great dish to have right before your period.
I made it for my dad and he loved it! A while ago, I surprised him and my mom by cooking them a huge meal. I made the Couscous, Sweet Potato-Lentil Stew, Baby Bok Choy Drizzled with Ume Vinaigrette, and a Peach Crumble for dessert. It was a massive feast! They were super impressed.
Moroccan Couscous With Saffron
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 cubes
- 2 cups yellow onion, large dice
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 cubes
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, cut into 3/4 cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the squash, onion, carrots and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.
- While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin, saffron and salt to taste.
- Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.
- Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl, and add the couscous.
- Bring the vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.
- Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Add the scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork, and serve.
What’s your favorite dish to cook for company?
East Village NYC’s Vegan Ice Cream Game is Strong!April 27th, 2016
Oh Snap! Sweet Pea SoupApril 6th, 2016
My 2015 Natural Products Expo West AdventureMarch 21st, 2016
Making Raw Balls with BearFebruary 19th, 2016