Giveaway: Mayim Bialik’s New Cookbook & Recipe
Congratulations to the following recipients of Mayim Bialik’s new cookbook…
We will be sending you an email shortly with more information on how to claim your prize.
Thanks to all of those who participated. This giveaway is now closed, but we will have more in the future so stay tuned!
Mayim Bialik has a new vegan cookbook – Mayim’s Vegan Table: More Than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours. The book offers recipes, both simple and a little more complicated, for every meal of the day. She also worked closely with pediatrician Dr. Jay Gordon to offer more kid-friendly vegan meals, nutritional information and resources for raising kids on a plant-based diet.
Today Mayim has shared her recipe for Dilled Chickpea Burger with Spicy Yogurt Sauce:
No one will ever know these burgers are made of chickpeas, unless you tell them. Shallots, chickpeas, tahini, and spices are combined and sautéed to crisp perfection for one of the most satisfying veggie burgers we’ve tasted. Here we’ve stuffed them into pita pockets and doused them with yogurt sauce, but they’re just as wonderful with ketchup and mustard, or raw onion and a little hummus. These are thinner patties that should be cooked until crisp. Handle them as little as possible, and let them cook well on the first side before flipping.
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, well-drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- About 1/4 cup vegetable oil, for oiling the pan
- 6 pita pockets or buns
- To make the burger, lightly mash half of the chickpeas in a medium bowl. Add the dill, shallots, bread crumbs, and lemon juice and mix well.
- In a food processor, combine the remaining chickpeas, tahini, salt, pepper and cumin until smooth. Add to the mashed chickpeas, mix well, and form into six to eight patties.
- Oil a 12-inch skillet over medium heat and cook the burgers until very crispy and dark golden on both sides, about 6 minutes. Don’t flip them too much! Drain on paper towels or brown paper bags on a wire rack.
- Stuff the patties in pita pockets. Drizzle with yogurt sauce.
To make the yogurt sauce, place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until blended thoroughly.
We are also giving five Kind Life readers the chance to get signed copies of the book! All you have to do to enter is leave a comment below telling us what vegan ingredient you like to use most in your recipes. We will select five of you and announce the names on Wednesday, February 26.
• LIMIT ONE COMMENT PER ENTRY. MULTIPLE COMMENT ENTRIES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
• THIS GIVEAWAY ENDS AT MIDNIGHT PST, TUESDAY, FEB. 25.
• AFTER WINNERS ARE ANNOUNCED, ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLAIMING YOUR PRIZE WILL BE NOTED.
• NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS GIVEAWAY.
• VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Vegan Holiday Cooking: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Apple Cider ReductionNovember 19th, 2014
Cookie’s Water HallahNovember 7th, 2014
Thug Kitchen: Sweet Potato, Squash, & Black Bean EnchiladasOctober 10th, 2014
Shauna’s Peach SorbetAugust 20th, 2014
Delicious London Meet UpAugust 13th, 2014