This applesauce would make a great accompaniment to your latkes. With no sugar added, it looks pretty darn healthy too!
35 min cook | 4 servings | 15 min prep
- pounds of apples 3 na
- cinnamon 1 tsp
- nutmeg 1 pinch
- water 1.5 cup
- lemons (thin
- slices) 2 na
- salt 0.25 tsp
- Peel and core apples (you can leave the skin on a few of them because if you like the taste and texture).
- Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- Add all ingredients to pot
- and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil
- then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
- Stir frequently
- making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices.
- Mash with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature.