I got this BBQ sandwich recipe from PETA, and though I haven’t tried it yet, it looks and sounds like a great BBQ dish for summer.
- 1 lb. tempeh
- 1/2 cup(s) of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup(s) of olive oil
- 2 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 6 kaiser rolls, sliced in half
- 1 cup(s) shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup(s) finely diced onions
- 2 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise (try Vegenaise)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt, sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Cut the tempeh in half lengthwise, then cut the 2 slabs in half widthwise (as if you were slicing a roll), creating 4 squares that are nearly identical in size. Next, cut the tempeh into smaller strips, about 1 by 3 inches. Arrange in a single layer in a 2- to 3-inch-deep baking dish and set aside.
- Whisk together all the remaining ingredients. Pour over the tempeh, coating evenly. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the cabbage, onions, vegan mayonnaise, and vinegar. Mix until well combined. Add the celery salt, salt, and pepper. Keep in mind that the tempeh will be both spicy and slightly salty! Cover and store in the fridge until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- Lightly toast the rolls. Pile as much of the tempeh as you’d like onto one half of each roll. Top with some of the slaw, add the other half of the roll, and enjoy.
What’s your favorite summer sandwich?
Photo Credit: JustVeggingOut
More kind recipes…
Moroccan Couscous with Saffron
Kind Chocolate Cake
My Warm, Spicy Wine
Artichokes with Roast Capsicum and Sun-Dried Sauce